Thursday, May 18, 2006

There's this commercial where parents are watching their preschool or kindergarten-aged children have their graduation. As one child is standing in cap and gown with diploma in hand, one parent says to the other, "Pretty soon, they'll be doing this again and leaving us for good."

Several months ago, DD saw this commercial as she and I were watching tv together. She looked at me from across the room and asked "Will I do that too, Mommy?"

Not thinking that there was more to her question, "Sure, baby."

A short moment passed, maybe 5 seconds, and she drops her head into her hands and says through sudden tears and sobs, "That sounds AWFUUUUUUULLLLLL!!"

Stunned, that was my initial reaction. I go to the chair she's sitting in and put her in my lap and ask her to calm down and talk with me about it.

"I don't want to EVER weave you and Daddy. I'm just a wittle kid still."

Now, I know what I'm dealing with. She misunderstood why I had said "Sure, baby". Poor thing. I held her close and let her cry for a minute.

I cried some too.

I then explained that the parents were talking about how it would SEEM that the kids would be leaving "soon". It was really too much for her still. She cried for 30 minutes, I think.

As time has approached for her preschool graduation, she has become less worried about it and is now excited. When her class began practicing their songs and stuff, she didn't tell me for a few days. When she finally did (I had already been told by her teacher), she was still hesitant.

"Mommy. I want to tell you sumfing, but I don't want to tell you."

"oooookaaaaay. Baby, you can tell me anything. I love you."

"Well, I've been pwacticing for gwaduation."

"I know. Mrs. Terri told me."

"Well, am I going to have to weave you and Daddy?"

"No, Pumpkin. You're not leaving me and Daddy."

"Good! 'Cause I don't want to. I want to stay with you forever!"

"You got it, kiddo!"






Just so dang sweet it makes you sick doesn't it?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

This made me cry! I love you! How are you feeling???