Friday, October 05, 2007

If it's not one thing...

My mom has a whooping to look forward to.


When she left the hospital after her surgery and two weeks in in-patient physical therapy/rehab, she had an upper respiratory infection. The neurologists that supervise the rehab floor felt that she could fight the infection without the assistance of antibiotics, and let her go home with a pat on the head and congratulations for her PT progress.

3 days later, I was chewing them out for failing to properly treat an obviously sick woman. Let it suffice to say that I was unhappy and they probably have my home number blocked for future incoming calls.

A call to her internist produced a rx for 7 days of le_vaquin. It seemed to improve her cough and we were a little relieved.

Keep in mind that she has yet to go to her first out-patient PT appointment. Why, you ask... Because she is SICK!

Sunday afternoon, I called her. She said she wouldn't feel like going to PT the next day. The Mighty Hunter (never one to be afraid to hurt feelings when necessary) called her and said that he would put her on his shoulder and carry her in her pjs to the doctor the next day or that she could get dressed and let me carry her.

Monday, she showered and dressed. It completely exhausted her and left her out of breath. Refusing to actually MAKE AN APPOINTMENT at a real doctor, she insisted on going to a doc-in-a-box walk-in wait-2-hours clinic. Granted, the doc there is pretty good. It was completely ridiculous that we waited as long as we did.

Chest x-rays showed the lower half of her right lung as a complete white blob. Collapsed possibly or surrounded by fluid or completely filled with fluid. Either way it was BAD news.


The doc called a pulmonologist at the hospital where Mom had had surgery, who arranged for her to be admitted through the ER that night and ordered a list of tests for her.

At 3am, she was finally moved from the ER to a hospital room. The tests showed that the white blob was a collapsed lung. She has received regular respiratory/nebulizer treatments, constant oxygen, steroid shots, insulin shots (made necessary by the steroids), bags upon bags of IV antibiotics, more chest x-rays, sinus x-rays and generous portions of horrible hospital food.

This morning, the doc said the newest x-rays showed signs of more pneumonia and that it is no longer restricted to her right lung.

She's very sick. And for some crazy reason, she doesn't think she needs to be in the hospital. She cried this morning when the doc said she wasn't going home today.

So, once again, I'm asking for prayer for my mother. Because she is on a "sick" floor of the hospital (vs the surgical floor or PT floor) I am not able to visit her without someone taking Lucky during that time (because he is still attached to my nip and won't stay away from me for very long without screaming. his. head. off.)

So, please pray for Helen Silver. She didn't take her cough and "cold" seriously and could pay a high price for it.


Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

I hope you don't think I'm a huge jerk! I haven't checked google reader for several days and I just read this.

Hope your mama is better by now. A collapsed lung!?! Oh no. Prayers for your mama and you.

midlife mommy said...

I've said a prayer for your mom, and I hope that things turn around for her soon.