Monday, October 27, 2008

2 minutes

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. I have chosen and consecrated this temple (read: dwelling place) so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.



Here's the thing. I am confident that my Christian faith instructs and guides me to choose a particular presidential candidate over another one. From what I wrote recently, you don't have to guess which candidate I prefer.

I realize, however, that there are Christians in our nation who, for their own reasons, feel led to prefer the other guy. I can respect this. I have always believed that God leads each of us on our own paths. The paths may go in different directions, but the way is always narrow and the Guide is always the same.

I have a proposal for all of us. I don't think it will offend any of my readers. It seems that most of the 3 of you (haha!) are Christians, so to ask you to devote a specific amount of time each day to prayer for our nation's leaders will most likely be received well.

I won't presume to dictate what time of day YOU should pray. Chocolate knows I can barely manager showering on a weekly daily basis. But I will ask you to place a priority on this particular concern. I am asking you to spend 2 minutes each day until the election on our candidates, their families and their supporters. I am asking you to FOLLOW THROUGH and continue to pray for our nation and its leaders 2 minutes each day AFTER the election.

I will ask anyone who happens to read this to ask yourself these questions:

Which candidate is most transparent regarding his past (family, career, professional and personal associations/relationships)?

Which candidate's votes regarding abortion/right-to-life/euthanasia issues that are in alignment with your Christian beliefs?

These are not the two most commonly discussed issues regarding this presidential race. But these matter a lot to me. These issues speak directly to me and my decision-making about honesty and the sanctity of life.

(I will not go into the other issues that have everyone else's attention - today. Maybe tomorrow. Just know that I've already got a rough draft started.)

So, join with me and pray for our leaders, the election, our individual votes, the individual candidates, the candidates' families, the election workers, the campaign workers, etc.

2 minutes a day.

I really don't think I'm asking a lot.

2 measley minutes.

Starting........

.......

.......

NOW!