Saturday, December 02, 2006

Good news. The curmudgeon* will live to grow more curmudgeonly.

Grand-daddy had prostate surgery Wednesday morning. Everything went very well. He chose the Jetson-style surgery.

I told him that he could be glad that this will be my last pregnancy.

When pg w/Stinkerbell, The Mighty Hunter's mother lost her battle with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia in June. Then in October, while still very pregnant, Grand-daddy had 5 coronary bypasses.

He could feel better about his future health conditions since the major crises seem to coincide with my being pregnant.

Stinkerbell was on the phone with my mother, updating her on Grand-daddy's condition Wednesday night.

"He's doing pretty good. He's getting grumpy. So, I guess he's getting back to normal."

*Last Sunday morning, I described Grand-daddy to The Mighty Hunter as a crusty old curmudgeon. This didn't offend The Mighty Hunter at all. 2 reasons: Grand-daddy is a very LOVABLE crusty old curmudgeon. And The Mighty Hunter didn't know the meaning of the word. Which brought on a discussion I thought I'd NEVER have with The Mighty Hunter and that I haven't had since all those valuable communication courses at AU.

The Mighty Hunter tells me that if I'm using words that "no one knows" then I'm not communicating. I agreed. I then asked him what words I used that were not a part of his vocabulary. A vocabulary that I assumed was nearly equal to my own, since we're both college graduates and especially since he graduated from a high school that he considers superior to my own high school alma mater.

"curmudgeon"

I told him that lots of people we know would know that word. Particularly his brother, the one with the masters in divinity. Or is it theology? I mean, he reads constantly. Surely he has at least a basic grasp of the definition.

"I'm sorry, Kay. Both your sons have failed you in their development of an above-average vocabulary. But they're good men - that must count for something. Please stop turning in your grave."

Dumblond, my NOW FORMER co-worker and friend, knew the word. Her friend, Steve, knew it.

Does anyone out there know it? I like this one a little better, I think.

Note: I adore Grand-daddy. He is one of those very special people in my life. Never mind that he is my father-in-law. I would love him even without knowing his son. He knows he's a curmudgeonly person. We don't keep that opinion of him secret. He and I have a special relationship that developed after losing The Mighty Hunter's mom and while he recuperated from his bypass surgery. He and I are able to be very honest with each other and he allows me to hold him accountable for his sneaking a cigarette from time to time but lets me spoil him with chocolate chip cookies and home-made vegetable soup and cornbread. He is a wonderful man, whom his sons (particularly The Mighty Hunter) emulate. I see a lot of him in The Mighty Hunter.

And that's fine with me.

I love my curmudgeons!

Now for those of you who have been lurking without commenting, please let me know that I'm not strange in knowing the meaning of curmudgeon.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I have to tell you...that's a new word for me.