Thursday, April 10, 2008

sad realization

This morning I faced reality. I have now come to terms with the very pitiful fact that my identity as a mom has affected me in a new, completely unexpected way.

I have been aware for quite a while that I am not listening to much "current" music. I just don't care for much of it. I can only think of one current "popular" artist's name to give my official "bleh" opinion - Fergie. I actually like some of Natasha Bedingfield's songs, but I have to be honest and admit that it's only because the one song I'm thinking of is on a hair product commercial.

My taste in music falls in the Southern Rock genre, with a big slice of Contemporary Christian/Christian Rock.

The radio stations in my area are of no help either.

There are 2 Christian stations. One is part of the Moody Bible Institute network, which I enjoy but easily tire of all the talk-talk-talking they do. The other is part of the Immanuel Broadcasting network. While it plays more music, my reception is not great.

There are a few country stations - bleh. One "current hits" station, which further confirms my dislike of current music styles.

If there was a station that played constant Third Day, Jennifer Knapp, Eagles, Journey, Bon Jovi, John Mellencamp, Steven Curtis Chapman, Casting Crowns - its frequency would be permanently burned into my radio dial - much like the CRTs of years ago.

What? I can do something like this on my iPod? And my iPhone too? Oh, yeah. I knew that. It's just that I hate to wear ear buds and haven't found just the right docking station yet.

What? I can play it from my puter on my iTunes? Yeah, I know. But if my puter is on, then I want to sit down and work on my relationship with it instead of doing the things that really need my attention - like cleaning and caring for my kiddos.

Back to my sad realization...

In addition to my realization of being "completely and utterly out of touch" with the current music scene, I am painfully aware that I need to just simply stop dancing. I never was what anyone would call a good dancer. I never took a dance lesson. My dad is a Baptist preacher - and he didn't approve of dancing. My mom had to hide the fact that we went to the school dances from him.

Sad, I know. True, though.

So, having never had any dance Technique or Lessons in my past, I had to rely on my merely adequate rhythm and sense of music.

Even that fails me now.

You see. I was dancing to Sesame Street's theme.

I can't think of anything else to say that would finish this post any more perfectly.....
Lucky is astounded and frightened by his mother's dancing ability.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I now get shushed when I try to sing!

Rachel said...

Great photo!!! I just make sure that I'm holding my little guy when we dance then he can't see that my feet aren't doing what they are supposed to...hahaha...and as far as current music goes, I thought Fergie was the duchess...hahahaha! We stick to "Jack's Big Music Show" and that's about all I know these days. : )