Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Recipe Rally Time!

Crazy Hip Blog Mamas hosts a Recipe Rally each Tuesday. Today's theme is Potatoes.

Years ago, we lived a short time (18 months) in Los Angeles. While there I ate potato soup at a restaurant and loved it. As I am psychotically confident in my ability to re-create many recipes, I began first TEACHING myself to make potato soup and second deciphering all the yummy flavors that were in that bowl of scrump-deli-icious-ness.

Now, keep in mind that I ate one bowl of soup at that restaurant and made lots of pots of potato soup. By the time I had finalized my recipe, I had forgotten what my inspiration had tasted like.

Here's my recipe for potato soup.

(I tried to come up with a funny, witty name. The best I could summon is a Dan Quayle reference.)


Danny Boy's Potatoe Soup

4-5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 lg onion, chopped
Water
2 chicken bullion cubes
1 T garlic powder (or 1 crushed clove)
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp thyme
2 T real bacon bits (no bac-o's crap)
5 heaping T all-purpose flour
4 c milk
velveeta cheese

In large soup pot, place potatoes and onions, cover generously with water. Add bullion cubes, garlic powder, ginger, thyme and bacon bits. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and allow to cook until potatoes are tender. In a mixing bowl, combine flour with 1 c milk; using an electric mixer or hand blender, blend on high speed, eliminating all lumps until a paste forms. Add remaining milk to flour mixture and combine well. Pour milk mixture into soup pot. Stir well and allow soup to heat through. Do NOT boil. Stir in velveeta into each bowl to taste.

Eat, get happy and fat.

No comments: